The mission of the SEALS Moderator and Coordination Committee is to place moderators on SEALS panels. Moderators will organize the presentation of the panel, introduce panelists, help with time management, facilitate an effective discussion of the topic with members of the audience, and may also play an active role in the panel’s discussion.
- Jancy Hoeffel (Tulane) (Chair) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lucas Osborn (Campbell) (Vice-chair) email@example.com
- Jason Bent (Stetson)
- Zack Buck (Tennessee)
- Tuneen Chisolm (Campbell)
- Thomas Folsom (Regent)
- David Hague (St. Mary’s)
- Erica Kelsaw (Texas Southern)
- J.D. King (Washington & Lee)
- Gary Myers (Missouri)
- Eang Ngov (Barry)
- Charles Rhodes (S. Texas)
- Nancy Soonpaa (Texas Tech)
- Howard Wasserman (FIU)
If you would like to be added to our list of moderators, or to suggest a colleague, please contact the chair of the committee. In your e-mail, please give us your contact information (phone, e-mail, address) and the areas of expertise in which you would like to moderate.
2017 Annual Report
The trend this year continues as it has in past years that many panels and discussion groups have already found moderators for themselves. The Committee found approximately 40-50% of the moderators. Committee members find the majority of these moderators when they put the call out in their own institutions. However, more than in the past, we had to rely on a mass email from Russ Weaver to find additional moderators. We learned from some that as schools tighten belts, less faculty have the funds to come to the conference at all.
While in the past, we have left Discussion Groups to find their own moderators, we did have to nudge them this year to identify one (which meant emailing the entire group). It would be easier if in the future the organizer of the group were simply designated the moderator from the beginning.
We also strive to have the moderators contact the panelists as early as practicable as we have found this is a prime way to learn that panelists are not planning to attend. For all purposes, it would be helpful if the moderator committee had access to the list of persons who proposed panels or discussion groups as we have found that information could have been useful this year.
As in the past, we will have committee members on assignment at the conference to ensure panel moderators show up and have what they need for a successful panel.