The International Committee has three core missions:
1) Develop and Sustain Strong International Partnerships
SEALS is historically and still primarily focused on law schools in the Southeastern United States. However, we recognize that building good relationships with colleagues around the world is a worthy and important goal. We seek to encourage and facilitate participation in SEALS by law faculty who live and work beyond the U.S. borders.
2) Encourage global & comparative perspectives on the law and legal education
While international and comparative law are core pillars of legal practice and legal education in most of the world, they has not attained such prominence in the United States. The A.B.A. has recognized this as an area for improvement and this committee agrees. We will propose programs, panels and events that prioritize a more global focus and/or comparative analysis.
3) Provide international opportunities for SEALS members
This committee is very proud of the professors at our member schools and wants to showcase them to the world. Our goal is to seek out international publication, speaking and teaching opportunities and publish these to the member schools.
- Richard Meyer (Mississippi College) (Chair) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jennifer Bard (Cincinnati) (Vice Chair)
- William Araiza (Brooklyn)
- Robert Blitt (Tennessee)
- Greg Bowman (WVU)
- Fernando Colon-Navarro (Thurgood Marshall)
- Josh Douglas (Kentucky)
- Kevin Govern (Ave Maria)
- Vaughn James (Texas Tech)
- Jorge Ramirez (Texas Tech University School of Law)
- Melanie Reid (Lincoln Memorial)
- Matthew Steffey (Mississippi College)
- Constance Wagner (St. Louis U.)
2016 Annual Report
The International Committee continued to strengthen its relationship with the European Law Faculties Association. After hosting the ELFA President Laurence Gromley at the 2015 SEALS Conference, Committee members Pat Hugg, Greg Bowman, Jennifer Bard & Rich Meyer attended the annual ELFA conference at the University of Groningen, The Netherlands. Pat, Greg & Rich constituted a special SEALS panel at the Conference and presented on US Cuba Rapprochement. The Committee & ELFA have an informal agreement that ELFA leadership have a standing invitation to the SEALS Conference, and that the ELFA Conference will continue to host a panel of SEALS speakers. Laurence and new ELFA President Vera Kalvodova will be attending the International Committee meeting at the 2016 conference, where we hope to continue to expand our cooperation. MC Law continues to host videos of past Committee presentations through its web page.